Water Purification Systems Designed for Ottawa Living
Whether you are considering a new whole home water filtration system as part of your water purification for city water, a water softener for well water or a reverse osmosis system (RO system) for the cleanest drinking water – we’ve got you covered and more.
Water purification systems began in the 1920’s and Francis Plumbing and Heating ClimateCare has been there since the beginning providing residential solutions for clean healthy water.
Why do people in Ottawa need water purification?
Ottawa has some of the best water in the province – but it isn’t perfect. Aging pipes delivering water are leaching chemicals into our water supply. In addition tap water is treated with a large number of chemicals in order to kill bacteria and other microorganisms. This is in addition to other potential undesirable contaminants like toxic metal salts, hormones and pesticides, or it may become contaminated by chemicals or microbes within pipes (e.g. lead, bacteria, protozoa).
Here are just a few of the most common issues with our water:
- Aging lead pipes and lead solder joints (Lead has been proven to cause long-term health problems including increased risk of high blood pressure and kidney damage)
- Copper pipes (A new study has shown that copper water lines leach copper which could cause people over 50 to contract Alzheimer’s Disease and heart disease. According to scientists the metal has been shown to build up in the body causing serious health problems)
- Chlorine used to treat the water (Drinking chlorinated water puts users at a higher risk of bladder cancer)
- All medication that is consumed and eliminated through urine and feces ends up in our water treatment plants and not all of it is completely removed during the treatment process. For example one of the most common medications that ends up in our drinking water is Estrogen (in the form of estradiol). Estradiol is the most potent form of estrogen potentially causing increase in the risk of strokes, blood clots, breast cancer (in men and women), issues conceiving and other problems.
- Nitrates, Pesticides and fertilizers (during heavy rains fertilizers, pesticides and nitrates end up in our water system although most is filtered during the water treatment process it is still linked to methemoglobinemia, or “blue baby” disease where the blood cannot deliver enough oxygen to the body).
- Fluorine compounds. (Fluoride is a poison in large doses but toxic levels cannot be achieved by drinking fluoridated water. But it does accumulate over time and may be related to osteoporosis, more frequent hip fractures, and bone density loss in elderly people).
- Trihalomethanes or THMs (At elevated levels, THMs, have been associated with negative health effects such as cancer and adverse reproductive outcomes. Added to the estrogen problem it is no wonder we are seeing more and more couples struggling with successful conception.
- Salts of: arsenic, radium, aluminium, mercury, cadmium, barium and more… (Examples of these chronic effects include cancer, liver or kidney problems, or reproductive difficulties) Did you know that your body absorbs 2/3 of these heavy metals through your skin when you shower or take a bath – its not just in your drinking water.
- and more…
Is boiling water enough?
Boiling water certainly kills viruses and bacteria, including E. coli, but boiling water can have reverse effect of concentrating other contaminants like nitrate, arsenic, and lead, making them potentially harmful. A good RO system (reverse osmosis water purification system) properly installed and maintained removes these other contaminants.
What kind of water purification system is best?
When it comes to water purification you have many options:
- Water softeners
- Whole home water purification system
- Reverse osmosis (drinking water)
- UV lights
- Various filtration add ons such as:
- Particulate filtration
- VOC filtration
- Heavy metal filtration
- Chlorine filtration
- Tanin and uranium filtration
If you live in Ottawa and are using City water we recommend the following:
- Reverse Osmosis for your drinking water only. This is installed under your kitchen sink and gives you a separate tap just for your drinking and cooking water. Please note charcoal filtration (like Brita) is NOT the same – charcoal only reduces some chemicals but it does not remove heavy metals it simply makes the water “taste” better. A RO system actually purifies the water to 99.9%
- Whole Home Premium Filtration System. The whole home premium filtration system will remove chemicals and heavy metals from your water system before it ever reaches your faucets or showers meaning no more absorbing these toxins when you shower, shave, wash hands, etc… If you are a couple planning for children in the future we highly recommend getting a whole home premium filtration system.
Call today to schedule your FREE quote for both options to see what is best for your family 613-224-0041
If you live in the suburbs and are on well water:
Water testing is critical before any recommendations are made when it comes to well water (no two wells have the same level of contaminants or types of contaminants so they have to be tested before recommendations can be made).
Once we have the test results we can provide you with customized water filtration that fits your specific needs without over spending on filtration you don’t need. Recommendations can include Water Softeners, Water Filtration Systems specific for your water type, UV lights, RO system and whole home premium filtration systems.
Regardless of the kind of water you have – we have you covered!
WELL WATER: FREE water testing and quote
OTTAWA CITY WATER: FREE quote
Call today for your Free quote (and water test if you are on well water)