Toilet Paper Shortage Disaster (what to do when you run out)
It was bad enough when all the stores were out of toilet paper (still one of the hardest things to find during this pandemic) but now we have a new issue as a direct result.
Toilets are NOT designed for flushing anything except body waste and toilet paper (which disintegrates when it gets wet). Anything else causes blockages.
These are just a few of the common things we are seeing flushed that are causing blocked toilet problems:
- Feminine pads and tampons (these should NEVER be flushed even if they say flushable on the box)
- Baby wipes (these should NEVER be flushed even if they say flushable on the box)
- Makeup remover wipes
- alcohol wipes
- tissue paper – Kleenex
- Paper towels
- office paper
- coffee filters
- vegetables & food
- other… (somethings are best left unmentioned)
Here’s what to do if you run out of toilet paper:
- Get a garbage can, coffee can or other container that has a lid so it can be sealed shut
- Line it with a plastic garbage bag
- Put this can next to your toilet – this becomes your temporary disposal for solid waste products
- Dispose of tissue, baby wipes, paper towels, or whatever else you are using in place of toilet paper into the temporary can and seal it shut
- Change the garbage bag frequently and sterilize the can with bathroom cleaner with each change to prevent spread of bacteria and odors.
This may seem disturbing to some people but this is what they do in cottages without running water so many people in Ottawa are already familiar with this practice.
Just keep in mind that this is only temporary until the suppliers can restock our stores.
Have other helpful tips or suggestions during this crisis – please share!